Become a Registered Nurse in the United States

There are many foreign nurses in working in the United States either in a prestigious New York hospital, a Los Angeles medical center, or a Miami nursing home. Have you ever wonder that if you are a foreign nurse, it is important to undergo a time-consuming process to enter the country as a registered nurse? Nurses who are looking for overseas jobs in the United States should follow certain processing procedures that vary according to different state and local nursing boards. Follow these basic procedures when you want to process your requirements:

1. Start the CGFNS certification process by contacting the Commission on Graduates of Foreign Nursing Schools. This organization is internationally-recognize to evaluate credentials and verify nursing education, registration, and licensure. A qualifying examination is required for foreign nurses who are interested in practicing as registered nurses in the U.S. The exams include tests on the candidates’ nursing knowledge and English language skills.

2. The next step would be crafting a professional resume that should be sent to as many overseas nursing recruiters and healthcare firms. Practice your interview answering skills whether if you take an online or an actual face-to-face interview. While you’re still waiting for the results of your CGFNS certification process, keep yourself busy by doing some research on the possible you may be working with in the future.

3. When it comes to visa, you have two options: either you go for temporary work visas like H-1C and H-1B or go for a permanent visa process. Of course getting your green card takes a lot of time to process but the good thing is that you have permanent employment opportunity.

4. Nurses seeking temporary or permanent occupational visas in the United States should get VisaScreen to assess the applicant’s nursing education if its comparable to that of their American counterparts; to verify their professional health care licenses; to evaluate English proficiency; and to verify if the nurse passed either the CGFNS Qualifying Exam, the NCLEX-RN or its predecessor; or the State Board Test Pool Examination (SBTPE). One can apply for a VisaScreen certificate while your employment-based immigration petition is being processed.

5. Take and pass the NCLEX exam. You need to know what state you will be working. Once you made your choice then contact the state nursing board and ask for registration application form and requirement list. Take note, most states require you to have a CGFNS certificate as a condition to take the NCLEX test.

6. Different state nursing boards have their own procedure with some issuing temporary/interim licenses once you enter the U.S. This license is usually issued if all your licensure documentation is complete with the state board of nursing.

7. Don’t forget to apply for an interim permit along with your application for licensure to the concerned state board of nursing.

8. Wait for the notice of your interview date for the Green Card. The visa interview will be done at the U.S. consulate. Once you passed the interview, you will receive your permanent resident visa if you are not in the country yet.

9. If you are already in the United States, your temporary visa will be converted into a permanent resident visa. The process, known as adjustment of status, will allow you to obtain visas for your family members.

10. Once you live in the United States for many years, you can now apply for citizenship once you meet certain requirements.

No comments:

Post a Comment